Saturday, May 1, 2010

Extinct and Still Going Strong

I figure a person doesn‘t give death much thought, after all, it is a taboo topic in this country unless someone close or known to a person passes on. It’s especially tragic if its unexpected or if it is someone quite young, then we might grieve for a few days but our lives must go on.

Although the title is tongue ‘n’ cheek, the idea of extinction is fast becoming a household word. Unfortunately it is not the kind of word one should become comfortable with. Other such words are endangered and threatened. It has become very difficult to avoid some reference of these words in the newspapers or TV. It is most distressing to hear another species is threatened, endangered or officially extinct.

I always believed the animals of this world would be around long after the homo-sapiens blew themselves to hell and gone. And I am especially amazed how the government(s) accepts the safety and/or scientific reports from industries applying for usage, drilling permits or proof that the proposed product is safe and non-harmful to wild life or human beings.

You would think that after the smoking industries fiasco about cigarettes not being cancerous, governments would wizen up. Perhaps their checkbooks are linked to wisdom somehow? One can only wonder.

If there were large sums of income potential from saving a specie the news would surely look different.

Today the Big Corporations of Time is Money Inc., announced their plans to save the not quite threatened mosquito larvae, as research has shown, it has a growth potential unlike anything before seen in the industry. More news to follow.

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I hate to think about death. It's scary. (I know weird thought for a Christian to have right?) I don't like the thought of someday maybe losing my husband before I eventually go. I hate the thought of losing you and mom someday. I hate the thought of anyone dying and it's very unsettling to read the newspaper, because it happens all the time. In the last month or so a lot of people have passed away, not necessarily close to me, but I have met them once or twice at some point in life. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. If our bodies physically die, but our spirits are alive with God, then we are already living in eternity and we are just awaiting the sufferings of living, in our physical bodies, to end. Who knows, it is not something to think about lightly, but as a society we are obsessed with being "untouchable, bullet-proof, and invincible" Time for us to wake up because before we all know we'll be dead and it will be too late to realize that we spent our lives asleep. Love you pops! Hope this wasn't too intense or dark, just my thoughts on your writings! I love you very much and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I don't think your response too intese or dark. I've spent alot of time around death to the point that when I worked at the hospital transporting patients to the various departments I could tell whom I would be transporting to the morge in a few hours.
    Your insiht is good.

    Love you too!

    pappy

    ReplyDelete