Thursday, April 29, 2010

Things Thought About

Growing up we happened upon pearls of wisdom from older more experienced people. Whether listened to and remembered really depended on our state of mind at the time. Lets face it, kids are not always paying attention to what is said, so much as whom and how it is said, and then only if it seems interesting at the time.

It is a certainty that we overlooked the best that life had to offer, as we scurried along. Perhaps this is a tired cliché from another old man. Older people often said things like: “Its no fun being old.” Or “Pay attention kid, this is what you have to look forward too.” And, “My body feels old but I still feel like I’m eighteen in my mind.”

Because of our youth, understanding was fleeting at best and rarely grasped. Its unfortunate that many of the expressions we may have had shared with us, seemed more rueful than happy or joyful. That is a most unfortunate recollection.

Perhaps like childhood, when we were busy making our imaginary place in the world, our adulthood is spent busily earning a living. And we miss the “real” purpose behind life in our rush to get to a mythical somewhere else.  Is it not a sad thing to discover that maybe it was the memories that were important. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking a lot about memories as well. I love memories from my childhood and even my young adulthood and I guess now adulthood. Some are funny, some are sad, some evoke emotions in me that I never thought I had. Well good or bad our memories serve us well and keep us smiling. I love you dad. Some of my favorite memories of you have been in the last 4-5 years because we have learned so much about each other, and I look forward to many more! I also have some great ones from my childhood! I love you daddy-o!

    ReplyDelete